Raymart Santiago and Claudine Barreto are not human rights victims
The case filed by the couple Raymart and Claudine claiming their human rights were violated was junked by the court.
Here is the news:
Saying that movie stars Raymart Santiago and Claudine Barretto are not victims of human rights, a Quezon City judge has junked the petition for Writ of Amparo sought by the spouses against the Tulfo brothers – Raffy, Ben, and Erwin.
Judge Maria Filomena D. Singh of the Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 219 issued the resolution last Friday after sustaining the arguments raised by defense lawyer Nelson Borja who sought the dismissal of the petition for having no basis.
Borja claimed that the celebrity couple, who had been involved in a mauling incident with newspaper columnist and broadcast commentator Ramon Tulfo, are not entitled to government protection under the Writ of Amparo because they are far from being victims of human rights.
In her ruling, Singh cited the rules on the said writ that stated “only extrajudicial killings and enforced disappearances are proper subjects of a petition.”
She said the writ is issued by the judiciary when it serves both preventive and curative roles to address human rights violations.
The couple claimed they were entitled to the protection offered by a Writ of Amparo because they feared retaliation from the three Tulfo brothers, who host a hard-hitting public service TV program on Channel 5.
In their petition, Santiago and Barretto claimed that the Writ of Amparo is a remedy available to any person whose right to life, liberty and security is violated or threatened with violation by an unlawful act or omission of a public official or employee, or of a private individual or entity.